Written by Joseph P. Heenan, January 2019
Philadelphia Friendly Sons of St. Patrick member Christopher Fallon, who constructed an impressive octagonal mansion on the site in 1850, originally owned the tract of land upon which Monsignor Bonner and Archbishop Prendergast Catholic High Schools were built. The house was named “Runnymede” after the Fallon family seat in Roscommon County in Ireland.
In 1882, Philadelphia Friendly Sons of St. Patrick member Anthony J. Drexel purchased the building. The mansion stood on what was at that time called the hill of Drexel, and consequently the surrounding area became known as Drexel Hill.